Friday, April 17, 2015

Overhaul


The story behind the revamp

Do any of you ever have that moment in life where you look around and realize how toxic things have been, and decided you needed a complete overhaul? Well, that happened to me. 

Things were getting pretty rough starting August last year, and things were slowly getting worse. I was always tired, sad, and incoherent. (Or in better terms: sabaw). School was getting harder to grapple with, and my grades were slipping. Important things in life kept piling up. It was hard to meet the expectations people had of me. 

By the time senior year was ending, I was getting somewhat better, but my life was still pretty disorganized. When my finals finished, I felt so free, and felt like the burden was lifted off my shoulders. Admittedly, there are still things going on that give some pressure, but things aren't as bad.

With a lot of free time, at first, I ended up just marathoning series and movies, and had a small round of spring cleaning, involving clearing out a LOT of unnecessary readings and school related items.


After graduation, during the first week of April, I decided-- screw it. I need a fresh start.

I looked around and everything was a mess, and I don't just mean my life. The house was a mess, and my room was a mess. The paint is faded. There are a lot of things everywhere, and most of them I don't really need or use. My bookshelf can barely carry the books and memorabilia I had there. My closet had no space anymore. Everything was not put in any order whatsoever.

BEFORE



Evident above, my room wasn't such a pleasant place to look at. I had too much stuff and it was so cramped. 

And so! I decided to change the whole thing, beginning with paint!

PAINTING

I wanted to get rid of the baby blue paint, and change it into something lighter and brighter. I took a trip to True Value (1st level Trinoma) for the painting materials. We got:
  1. Painting tray - Php 49.75
  2. Two paint brushes - Php 79.80 each (instead of the 99.75 because it was discounted)
  3. Two paint rollers - Php 60.00 each
  4. Two paint roller extensions - Php 280.00 each
I regretted buying the paint brushes though because the material of the brushes made painting messy. My yaya and I had to buy rushes and smaller rollers from the EK hardware near us, and it was under Php 200.00

Next, we bought paint from the home section of the SM Department Store, SM North Edsa. The brand we bought was Davies Sun and Rain: Odorless. We got one 4L in White for our base (since my walls were so blue we needed a primer first). Then we got two 4L in Angel Blush for the main color. 

According to the CSS color chart I found, the color I used would be like this:

It took us one thin layer of white, and 4-5 layers of angel blush because my room was too blue. Overall, it took my yaya and I 2 days (overall 12 hours) to paint the room.

ORGANIZERS

It was necessary to buy a few things for organization, and so I bought two cute containers from Saizen, inside True Value, 1st floor Trinoma. Each was Php 88.00. The ones on the left are also from Saizen but they were bought beforehand for the same price.


I also had organizers for my makeup but I had bought them before I even had the makeover. But just fyi, the lipstick organizers were ones I got from the beauty level (first floor) of Landmark, Trinoma, and the black and white pull-out is from the school supplies section of SM Department Store, SM North Edsa

 

I also bought transparent containers to substitute my shoeboxes. These Megabox containers in 6.3L cost Php 69.75 each. Those containers with the locks are more expensive though. The shoeboxes couldn't fit the top and bottom rows so I limited them to 8, and bought 1 more for containing my hair accessories. 


TV & DVD


You can see my reflection! Haha

My Dad bought me a new Samsung 24" TV from Avant, 3rd floor Trinoma. It cost Php 9998.00, and it came with a relatively old DVD player. This way, I was able to remove the old space consuming TV 

DECALS

Decals are pretty expensive in ACE Hardware, and I saw they were also expensive online. But I found cute ones from Saizen! I bought two packs from Saizen, inside True Value, 1st floor Trinoma. Each was Php 88.00. I wasn't able to take a good picture but my before photos captured it: 


These were put on my closet doors. For the decals I wanted to put on my walls, I had to buy sticker papers from National Bookstore (Php 31.75) and drew the design I wanted then cut them out. I wasn't able to document the process since it was quite messy, but I just copied the design I found on the net, then cut with scissors/cutter. I also put decals on my mirror to make it prettier~ The name on my door had to be colored in by a black gel pen.


BLINDS

I had to change my baby blue blinds to the ones below. I had to have them custom made because ACE Hardware, LG, SM North Edsa Annex didn't have blinds the size I needed. The Vanilla colored Aluminum Blinds cost me Php 1120.00.


Misc.

I had to buy fabric for the covering of my TV and my aircon. My room tends to accumulate dust easily, and I don't know why. So I went to Fabric Warehouse and bought 3 yards of fabric in what seems to be an ivory color, for Php 30.00 each yard. 

I didn't have to buy things for the planned covering for my window (the one above my aircon). The Saizen decals had cardboard with them so I used that, covered it with white crepe paper, then painted on my Canson watercolor pad, ripped out the pages, and taped them onto the board. Then I tied the board to my window using white ribbons I had left from my top hat days. I also made tiny multicolored ombre butterflies to cover the space beside my aircon.

 

FINISHED PRODUCT



This is the decal I've put on the door going to my room. My name was made by etching on sticker paper, while the butterflies and crown came from the Saizen decals.


 >>>

I was able to clear out a lot of things in my room. I removed my headboard, which was space consuming, and moved the book case to the right side of my room. The pillow cases of my hotdog and body pillows still weren't compatible with the color palette I was going for, so I'll aim to rectify that when I manage to save up.



These were what I made using the sticker paper from National Bookstore. It's not too obvious because the walls are light too but I'm satisfied with the outcome.


Yes, I had to remove my Frozen wallpaper. The blue out of place small hotdog pillows that my dad won from a golf tournament were used as fillers. There are spaces between the bed and the wall and I had the habit of hitting the wall while I turned in my sleep, or dangling my arm in the empty space. Now, it's nice and comfy to sleep.

 >>>

I moved the bookcase to the foot of my bed so as to save space. I put the TV, DVD player, Digibox atop my bookshelf so it's easier for me to watch, and so as to conserve space. 


Goodbye dirty windows, hello new blinds and watercolor window covers~



I threw out some of my shoes, and fixed the top of my dresser. I chose only a select few of the decals from Saizen, and put them on the doors. They tended to droop down though so some of them I had to attach with double sided tape.



 And so, that concludes my revamp! Yes, it was detailed but it was made so for the benefit of those interested in room revamps (*ehem*Ella*ehem*). Hopefully the details helped.

Overall, I feel pretty happy with my room~ I like watching TV there now but it's still pretty warm in there during the afternoons. At least I can watch my downloaded movies on my TV at night.

(Now I can Harry Potter or LOTR marathon in my room.)



No comments:

Post a Comment